On Saturday, November 1, Arlington ISD will host The Success in School Summit: A Dialogue on Dropout Prevention.
MISD Superintendent Vernon Newsom will participate in this worthy event to engage the community in discussions and presentations addressing the drop-out crisis.
Saturday, November 1, 2008From Dr. María Robledo Montecel, president of the Intercultural Development Research Association:
8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Fielder Road Baptist Church
2011 S. Fielder Road, Arlington Texas
“It is high time thatPlease consider taking action and attend the summit.
take a new course...[i]nvestment in change must go beyond discrete dropout prevention programs. It must reflect our full commitment to providing for quality public schools in all neighborhoods for children of all backgrounds.” Texas
- The Success in Schools Summit will strengthen existing collaborative efforts relative to drop out prevention.
- This summit proposes the development of work plans to address three strategic focus areas: Crime; Youth Physical and Mental Health; Youth Focus on the Future.
- Arlington Human Service Planners will serve as the facilitator/recorder and city, school district and other state and local officials will serve to establish collaborative networks involving key community stakeholders. In addition to the monitoring of action steps and data, Human Service Planners will hold a minimum of two networking sessions annually around the strategic focus areas.
- The City of Arlington Mayor and Superintendents from AISD and MISD have given their full support to the summit.
- The summit will have representation from a variety of representatives and stakeholders such as but not limited to: Mayor, City Council, City Manager’s Office, City Agencies, Arlington Human Service Planners, Youth, Corporate Representatives, Education, Nonprofit Partners, Other Elected/Appointed Officials, Faith-Based Organizations
MISD Speakers include:
- Vernon Newsom, Superintendent
- Yvonne DaVault - MISD Coordinator of Other Languages
- Sgt. Greg Minter - MISD Police