On Saturday, March 6, 2010 Mansfield ISD parents and teachers are invited to attend a free Parenting with Love and Logic® training seminar at Willie Pigg Auditorium, 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.
This free training seminar is provided through a LOVE CONNECTION grant through the MISD Education Foundation written for parents and teachers in the district by Mary Jo Sheppard Elementary staff.
The grant provides for a speaker from Love and Logic as well as a Parenting Curriculum kit to educate parents on some strategies that have proven to be successful. Join Jedd Hafer for plenty of laughs and lots of practical solutions to some of the most common challenges facing parents, teachers, and anybody who cares for kids. You will hear easy-to-learn strategies, for children of any age, that:
- Help them feel great about themselves
- Up the odds of them making wise decisions and resisting peer pressure
- Put an end to arguing, back talk, and power struggles
- Gain cooperation through the use of choices within limits
- Guide kids to own and solve their own problems
Love and Logic®
According to Charles Fay Ph.D. of Love and Logic, "research has shown that punishment-based approaches actually increase disruptive behavior thus the Love and Logic techniques were established to provide practical ways of teaching pro-social behavior along with responsibility while preventing ever increasing discipline problems."
These techniques are based on five principles including:
- preserving students self concept;
- teaching students to solve problems that they have created;
- ability to share decision-making along with control;
- providing empathy and warmth along with consequences; and
- build adult-child relationships.