Google Analytics

Friday, November 4, 2016

MISD Students Explore the Sounds of Strings


A new type of sound can be heard in the hallways of Mansfield ISD intermediate schools this year. Students are getting the opportunity to participate in the district’s new orchestra program.

“I love that orchestra is important to the district,” said Kevin Pearce, orchestra instructor at Mary Lillard and Mary Orr intermediate schools. “I think it’s an essential part of a well-rounded music program in school.”

For its inaugural year, the program serves as an exploratory class to expose fifth graders to string instruments. Students are learning various techniques, such as bowing and plucking. Pearce said he is impressed with how quickly his classes are learning the concepts.

Pearce led the orchestra class during a recent mini-concert.
“I’ve seen some really nice progress in them, especially considering how they’re not practicing at home,” Pearce explained. “They’re still moving as quickly through a method as other school districts where they did have instruments that they’re taking home.”

Lilan Jackson, fifth grader at Mary Lillard Intermediate School, said although she loves singing, being able to play a stringed instrument brings a different dynamic that she appreciates.

“For singing, it’s my voice, so I know how to control it; but for music, I can control it with my fingers, but I don’t control the sound,” said Jackson. “I like how it just comes out, and I like to hear that.”

The MISD orchestra program will expand in phases to the middle school and high school levels. For more information about the district’s fine arts programs, visit the MISD website.