Google Analytics

Friday, March 11, 2016

MISD Eighth Grader Heads to State Geography Bee

Eighth grader Anaiah Matthews said he is preparing every day
for the state geography bee.
If at first you don’t succeed, you try again. For Brooks Wester Middle School student Anaiah Matthews, that persistence took him all the way to the state competition of the National Geographic Bee.

The eighth grader said he was eliminated in the school primary round of the geography bee last year, but he didn’t let that keep him down.

“I was disappointed,” said Matthews. “But then I said, ‘You know what? I’m going to get them next year.’”

This year, Matthews made it past the school rounds and advanced to the online test portion. He later received the news that he was part of the top 100 fourth through eighth graders in Texas who will be competing in the National Geographic State Bee.

The Pre-AP student said he was shocked because the state test was difficult, but he’s been practicing since the age of four.

“Geography is my favorite subject. When I was little, my mom would teach me states and capitals,” said Matthews.

Matthews said he studies for the competition with his father for more than an hour every night. He reads from a massive book of geographic facts and practices with 200 flash cards.

“Right now I feel nervous, anxious, and excited,” said the state contestant. “I’ve been getting ‘congratulations’ from students and my teachers. They all want me to represent well.”

The National Geographic State Bee takes place April 1 in Bedford, Texas. The winner of the state competition will move on to the national competition in May. View more information about the National Geographic Bee here.